The Enthought Deployment Manager (EDM) quickly creates and maintains multiple self-contained Enthought Python environments. EDM provides unmatched robust state-of-the-art management of package dependencies, ensuring consistent package version sets.
Python environments created with EDM can be used from any general-purpose IDE. For pre-configured integration of EDM with a powerful free IDE, see "Using Visual Studio Code (VS Code) as an IDE with the Enthought Deployment Manager (EDM)".
EDM is a Python Environment Manager
Each Python environment is independent of all the others.
- Different versions of Python can coexist in different environments.
- Different packages (and package versions) can be installed in each environment.
As a result:
- Users are able to work on multiple projects that need different versions of Python and/or have conflicting package requirements.
- Users are able to test their programs against multiple versions of Python and/or multiple versions of packages.
- Users can reproduce a colleague's environment for co-development, testing, or troubleshooting.
EDM is a Python Package Manager
Packages that are installed in a given environment will be:
- Compatible with the version of Python being used.
- Compatible with the other packages already installed:
- When installing new package, EDM also automatically installs compatible dependencies.
- When updating existing packages, EDM also automatically checks for required updates to dependencies.
Supported Enthought Python versions
- Python 3.6 runtimes and packages are actively maintained, with about 1000 available packages.
- Python 3.8 support is under active development, with a quickly growing roster of packages.
- No new or updated packages are being built for Python 2.7 or Python 3.5 (effective late 2019).
Supported Operating systems
- Windows 64-bit and 32-bit. (The 64-bit EDM application for Windows can create and manage both 32-bit and 64-bit Python environments.)
- RHEL7+ 64-bit and RHEL6 64-bit (No new or updated packages will be built for RHEL6, beginning in the near future.)
- MacOS 10.13+ 64-bit. (Most packages support 10.9 and above.)
EDM Product Description
EDM Documentation (including release notes)
Please do not enter support requests in article comments
Please use article comments for suggestions to improve the article. For individual support requests, please follow these guidelines.