(Updated March 18, 2015)
On Windows Vista and above with User Access Control (UAC) enabled, the msi installer does not enable the "Install for All Users" option, which is required to install Canopy to "Program Files". In this case, you need to start the installation from a command prompt with elevated privileges, by doing these steps exactly (even if you are already an administrator):
- Type "cmd" in the start menu text entry box.
- Right-click on the "cmd" program which appears at the top of the start menu and select "Run as Administrator".
(Sys admins: to automate this escalation step, you can use SysInternal's "PsExex -h", described at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553 .)
- At the command prompt, type the following (type the actual path and filename instead of "c:\<path-to-canopy-installer-file>.msi"):
msiexec /i "c:\<path-to-canopy-installer-file>.msi" ALLUSERS=1
- If you are presented with a dialog asking you whether to install for all users or for just this user, select "All Users".
- If you will be doing a Common Install (see link below), be sure to uncheck the "Launch application" option at the end of the installation. Do not start the application until after you have configured the common install.
These are Microsoft's recommendations for installation on UAC-enabled systems. Please contact us with further questions.
For multi-user setups with more than a few users, we strongly recommend the "Common Install" procedure described here: https://support.enthought.com/entries/26491185-Understanding-a-Canopy-system-wide-installation-common-install-
Please do not enter support requests in article comments
Please use article comments for suggestions to improve the article. For individual support requests, please follow these guidelines.