On Windows Vista and above with User Access Control (UAC) enabled as is usual, the msi installer does not enable the "Install for All Users" option, which is required to install Canopy to "Program Files". In this case, you need to start the installation from a command prompt with elevated privileges, by doing these steps exactly (even if you are already an administrator):
- Type "cmd" in the start menu text entry box.
- Right-click on the "cmd" program which appears at the top of the start menu and select "Run as Administrator".
(Sys admins: to automate this escalation step, you can use SysInternal's "PsExex -h", described at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553 .)
- On systems with more than one user, or for users who wish to use EPD (Canopy's stand-alone Python distribution), now please go to one of these articles:
"Installing Canopy on Windows for classroom/lab use"
"Installing Canopy to work with Canopy's stand-alone Python distribution (EPD)"
Otherwise (for a single admin user to install into Program Files but still have all the Canopy User Python files placed into in your own profile, as is the default), continue here:
- At the command prompt, type the following (type the actual path and filename instead of "c:\<path-to-canopy-installer-file>.msi"):
msiexec /i "c:\<path-to-canopy-installer-file>.msi" ALLUSERS=1
- If you are presented with a dialog asking you whether to install for all users or for just this user, select "All Users".
These are Microsoft's recommendations for installation on UAC-enabled systems. Please contact us with further questions.
Please do not enter support requests in article comments
Please use article comments for suggestions to improve the article. See "How to submit Enthought Canopy/EPD support requests".